Sunday, August 15, 2021

Can You Hear Me Now?

TO: My son, Jake

FR: Dad

RE: A very Special K...

DATE: 1 Aug 2021

Let's begin with a little history about your Grandpa Steve. 

I can't exactly tell you for how many years, but I can say, for 'alot'; your Gramps started his day with a bowl of cereal. As far back as my memories of the breakfast table go. With the discipline of the Marine drill instructor he was. Not just any cereal... 

but a very special kind...




How special is Special...?

I think the answer may be very... Especially after the events of this morning. And a couple weeks ago.


So we both know that there were two very special 'K's in our lives. Neither of our 'girls' are leaving paw prints on this earth any longer... Your Kayla joined an awaiting Keeli (and Cody) last week, in warrior Valhalla. Beautiful spirts both, who blessed us and many; beyond all expectations. Inspirational muses they were.

With your unlimited love and care, Kayla hung on, with joy, and thrived to greet your new, twin daughters Jade and Jasmine. She saw to it they got off to a good start, too. How sublime for all. You saw her through as a puppy while you were putting youtself through college. She saw you through all the way to being a Dad. Wow... Bet you never thought... Almost 15 years. 

And then she told you...

So you know I took a little trip recently.

Took my walkman with me to France to run with. At the airport in Paris I had 3 hrs so I took out the walkman to listen to some tunes. Walking around it just wasn't sounding right and when I took it off to check it, I saw that one of the rubber ear pieces had fallen off. 

I walked back to the bench I was sitting at where I unpacked, it hoping maybe it fell to the floor there. No luck with that. Retraced my steps in case it fell off while I was walking...too many people... That was a no-go. On to the next flight to Marseille.

I used it in France but one ear didn't have very good sound. Hoping maybe the piece fell off back at the house when I was packing. Re-checked the backpack...nothing. 

When I got home I knew the two or three places it may have come off...nothing. Looked under all the furniture. All around where I charge it. Not the end of the world because I have some extra pieces back in Naples with an older unit. Until then I've been using it because some sound is still better than nothing. It's annoying not having equal balance in each ear. You know that feeling.

                                                  

While I was in France, you had to take among the toughest of choices and actions there is between a man and his dog. Your 14 year companion. Ya, I cried reading your texts. Was so damn proud how you conducted yourself. And how you set Kayla free. I laid out some obsidian stones when I came home in her memory. I loved her even more after Keeli's passing. They were like sisters with some very similar qualities. Stately, tough yet gentle and deferring to their alphas.

Today was set for a long run. Out to Chapala and back. Maybe 12 miles total. Plan was to run about 8 and grind out the way back running and walking. The music really helps. Wasn't to excited about the walkman situation but it is what it is... Something's better than nothing. Usually. Kinda depends what part you focus on, right?         

                                                    

So before I headed out I put the walkman on the charger which is connected to my laptop...on the kitchen counter. A couple hours later as I was ready to head out; I disconnected it and... it was hard to believe my eyes... there, next to the K...

                                                 

Impossible...

But I wasn't listening.



JAKE; CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW???

I know... it all sounds corny and 'out there'... but your girl gave me a message for you, son. She's alive and well. And all that love and care you gave her, especially at the end... well that really wasn't. The end, that is. It was just the beginning of the next chapter. 

Yours and hers.

Are you listening? 



Hey look it there, Jake... Off they go. 

The three amigos. 

And Kayla's got the lead!


What a crew.




Your Grandpa gave us both some of his Special K. Fed our souls. Blessed us with companions that changed our lives. For the better. Especially when we aim into the sun...
and keep our ears perked up.

Love you, Jake

Forever...

No comments:

Post a Comment