Sunday, November 24, 2013

My sister gave me a thoughtful gift when I moved down to Charlotte from Minneapolis last year. It was appropriate... as I was making the trek to work with a development-stage bio-tech company working on the commercialization of biomimetic spider silk.

Its a painting of a spider made up of a mosaic of other animals including swans, butterflies, ladybugs, honey bees and owls. Very spiritual. The artist is Sue Coccia and I thought she had she woven it all together beautifully in her art. There was a bonus that I did not realize at first...

On the back was this little poem:

"If you talk to the animals
They will talk to you
And you will know each other.
If you do not talk to them,
You will not know them,
And what you do not know
You will fear.
What one fears one destroys."
             ---Chief Dan George

I found the theme strikingly similar to a passage I have on the inside of my laundry room door (yes... a place of inspiration for me!)

"But ask the beasts and they will teach you
And the birds of the heavens and they will tell you
Or the bushes of the earth and they will teach you
And the fish of the sea will declare to you.
Who among all these does not know the hand of the Lord has done this?
In His hand is the life of every thing and the breath
Of all mankind."
                       ---Job 12:7-10

See a connection here? Now, if I could teach Keeli, my Aussie Shepherd to wash clothes... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment